首页 > 英语单词

苏州美联英语:读故事记托福单词 Aspirations Gone Astray

2014-11-18 16:37   类别:语法   来源:   责编:Simple

苏州美联英语:

I work in an assembly line in a car factory.

我在一家汽车厂的流水线上工作。

Most days, I just assemble car parts.

大多数时候,我只是组装汽车配件。

Occasionally, they’ll ask me to assay an unknown drugs substance.

有时,他们会让我化验某种不明药物。

Once in a while, I’ll be asked to assist with breaking up a fight.

有时,我又去帮忙劝架。

Assault is not common here.

这里很少有人身攻击。

But now and then, a frustrated worker will assail his assistant by casting aspersions on some aspect of the other’s work.

不过,时不时会有一名灰心丧气的工人抨击他的助手,就其工作的某方面进行诽谤。

I’m considered an asset in my company.

我被视为公司的宝贝。

But before 20 years ago, I was a different kind of asset to an entirely different type of company.

但20年前,我被另一家完全不同的公司视为另一种类型的宝贝。

They called it “the company” but it was really a secret government group trained to assassinate political leaders.

他们所谓的“公司”实际上是一个受过训练、专门暗杀政界领导人的秘密政府组织。

I never aspired to be an assassin.

我从未渴望做个刺客。

In fact, I was an aspiring chemist and a regular soldier in the army.

事实上,我是个有抱负的化学家,又是部队中的一名常备兵。

All I really wanted was to do something great or important for my country.

我的全部思想就是成就大事、为国效力。

But sometimes, having too great an aspiration can lead you astray.

但有时,理想过于远大只会将你引入歧途。

I still recall the day of the assembly.

我仍记得那天的集会。

It was a small gathering of highly skills people like me.

那是个小集会,与会者都是些像我这样的技术精湛的人员。

“The company” was assessing our abilities in the areas of weaponry and chemistry.

当时“公司”评估我们在武器和化学领域的才能。

I was a top chemist and a natural marksman, probably the best in my group.

我既是最优秀的化学家,又是天生的神枪手,很可能是我们小组中最棒的。

They ascribed my success to my steady hands and sharp eyes, the same tools I used for chemistry.

他们将我的成功归于我稳健的双手和敏锐的眼睛,这也是我搞化学时用的工具。

After the assembly, they gave us our assignments.

会后,“公司”给我们下达了任务。

I was assigned to assimilate into the mainstream society of a Latin American country.

我的任务是渗透进入一个拉美国家的主流社会。

It wasn’t long before I was doing things that I will forever be ashamed to admit.

不久,我就开始做些我永远耻于承认的事情。

It’s been over for about 15 years.

这一切已经过去15年了。

But I’ll never feel clean and I’ll never be able to assert that I have been a good man all my life.

但我将永远感到自己的肮脏,永远无法斩钉截铁地说我做了一辈子的好人。

ascribe vt. 把….归于

aspect n. (问题等的)方面;(事物等的)一部分

aspersion n. 诽谤,中伤

aspire vi. 渴望

aspiring adj. 有抱负的,有理想的,积极向上的

aspiration n. 雄心,抱负

assail v. (身体上)攻击,(言语上)攻击,批评

assassin n. 刺客

assassinate vt. 暗杀,行刺

assault n. (武力上的)袭击;(口头上的)攻击

assay v. 化验

assemble vt. 集合,装配; vi. 聚集

assembly n. 集会;参加集会的人们(译成:。。。大会,。。。议会);装配,安装

assembly line 装配线,流水线

assert vt. 声称,坚持,斩钉截铁地说

assess vt. 估计,分析,评估

asset n. assests 财产,资产;优势,重要的品质;宝贵(或有益)的人(或东西)

assignment n. 任务,作业;分配

assimilate vt. 学习,吸收(知识);吃,吸收(食品或营养)

assist vt. 援助,帮助

assistant n. 助手,助教;adj. 辅助的,助理的




更多精彩内容尽在苏州美联英语:http://suz.enguo.com/

赞一下( ) 收藏
适合人群:商务白领
难度:
标签:语法  
我要参与
验证码:   看不清楚,换张图片
精彩活动